The best EVER Low Carb muffin tops

YES! I have FINALLY perfected a muffin top recipe that DOESN'T taste like a gritty sponge!!!!



You have no idea how long it's been since I've had a muffin top. Other than over the top of my pants. I mean a real honest to goodness chewy, chocolaty, so true to texture muffin top.

The stores have been tormenting my husband and I. Everywhere we go, there are muffins. Everywhere. And it's hell, because I am trying REALLY REALLY HARD not to eat every f-ing muffin and cookie and cupcake I see. Because, damn it, I love them. So, BJ and I decided to put our skills to the test. Can we make a muffin top that doesn't look like freeze dried corn meal and doesn't taste like a chewy sponge?

BEHOLD! We have SUCCEEDED!



The trick to this recipe are the egg whites. You HAVE TO separate the egg whites and beat them into submission in order for this to work.



I add a bit of sweetener to the egg whites themselves because if you have any unincorporated egg whites in the batter, it will taste like nothing - so I add about 2 Tbsp of Truvia towards the end of the whipping process.



Separately, I mike the egg yolks with the balance of my ingredients and this creates the base of the muffin top.



Once I have the egg yolk base done, GENTLY fold the egg whites in 1/2 at a time. Do NOT over work the egg whites. It will deflate them, and it will turn into soup. You don't want that.



I fortunately have a muffin top pan that we make our Holy Grail buns in - so these work perfectly for the muffins.





Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are a nice golden brown. Annnndddddd... VOILA! Muffin tops.



Clearly, these will not last long in my house....




RECIPE!

2 eggs - separated
2 Tbspn truvia plus 2 tbspn separate for the egg whites (or your preferred sweetener)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut milk (I used the Taste of Thai unsweetened coconut milk in a can)
3 heaping TBSP Almond Flour
1 true TBSP Coconut flour
1/4 cup sugar free chocolate chips or chopped up SF Chocolate bar

Separate egg whites into their own bowl, and beat with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Toward the end of the whipping process, slowly add 2 Tbsp truvia or preferred sweetener. Set aside.

In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, remaining 2 Tbsp truvia, vanilla, salt, and coconut milk.

Sift together almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder, and put 1 TBSP of this mixture at a time in the egg yolk mixture. Once all dry is incorporated, add the SF Chocolate chips.

Gently fold half of the egg whites into the egg yolk batter. Do not over work, it will deflate the egg whites. Then add the second half of egg whites, and fold just until incorporated. It's ok if there are some unmixed egg whites - it just adds more fluff.

I baked mine in a muffin top pan - You get 4-5 muffin tops with this batter. Bake 350 for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool in pan before trying to remove.

Comments

Popular Posts