Lets talk breakfast

Eggs are a main staple in a Low Carb lifestyle. Two eggs equal 1 Carb. So, we eat a lot of eggs. But plain ol' eggs get boring after a while. I'm always looking for new and creative ways to have my eggs (and more protein, too!). Weekends seem to be the time that my husband and I experiment in the kitchen. We shop normally on Friday nights, then prep and cook the weekend away. Here are a few our breakfast creations - and hopefully if you're in an "egg rut" this will inspire you to try something new!

Egg Taco's with a cheese taco shell



We start with about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. For this we used a cheddar cheese. I line a paper plate with a piece of doubled over parchment paper. This helps to prevent the plate from melting, but also to peel the cheese off. I spread it out evenly on the plate, making sure no big obvious holes in the cheese - and I place in the microwave for 30 seconds. If the cheese isn't slightly golden brown yet - I put it back in for 10 seconds. Normally it takes about 45 seconds, depending on how much cheese I use. You don't want this to turn BROWN. Otherwise the cheese is burnt. Once I get the color I'm looking for (a slight golden brown) I take the parchment (making sure to NOT touch the area with cheese) and lightly fold it over to make a shell shape. I hold it in this position until the cheese sets. About 1 minute. Then carefully pull the parchment off the cheese, and set the shell aside to completely cool.

Meanwhile, I scramble a couple eggs with heavy cream - and SLLLOOOWWWWLLLYYYY cook them on the stove top. Season with salt and pepper, and mix in a tiny bit more cheese to the eggs. Set aside.

We always have batches of cooked grassfed taco meat in the fridge - so I'll heat up about 1 cup of the meat, and with a spoon ladle a bit into the cheese shell, top with egg, then a tablespoon of salsa. This is absolutely delicious. It is one of my favorite go-to's in the morning. Hell, even as a snack at night!

Paleo Wrap Brisket & Egg burrito



A few years ago we went Paleo. We discovered some really neat recipes to make food more wholesome and healthy. These wraps (if made very large) can be kind of carby - but we found making them in our small frying pan, the carb count was only about 4 carbs. What you'll need is:

4 Large eggs
2 Tsp melted coconut oil
2 Tbspn water
1/2 cup Arrowroot
2 Tsp coconut flour
Pinch of salt

Whisk eggs with water and oil. Add all dry ingredients, and whisk until no lumps. In a small frying pan, lightly spray with coconut oil. With a 1/4 measuing cup, ladle some of the batter into the hot pan. You want this to be set at about medium to just below medium heat. If you've ever made a crepe - it is the same process. Put the batter in the pan, and turn the pan to coat the enter bottom with the batter. Cook for a minute or two until the surface is not very tacky. Flip over for another 30 seconds. Set aside, and continue making your wraps. You will get 4-6 wraps out of a batch depending on how big you make them, and how much batter you use.

I start by putting a bit of shredded cheese on the base, then scrambled eggs, then shredded brisket. My husband slow cooks our brisket for 10 hours with his own spice rub, and omg... it's delicious. Top that with some sugar free low carb BBQ sauce, and roll 'er up! Voila! Brisket egg wraps.



Sometimes, just a big plate of Eggs and meat is all you want... Taco meat, eggs, salsa, sour cream, and of course - cheese. I know, I'm addicted to cheese. It's DELICIOUS.




Pumpkin Cream cheese Flax Pancakes (3 carbs per pancake)



So, we just kind of threw things in a bowl one weekend. And somehow, magically, it worked. These definitely satisfy my urge for pancakes. And they are super filling!

3 Tbspn coconut flour
2 Tbspn flax meal
2/3 Cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
2 Ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 Cup cottage cheese
6 Eggs
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
2 Tbspn Vanilla protein powder
2 Tbspn swerve
1 Tsp baking powder


I know it seems like a lot of ingredients - but trust me - these are worth it. And it's easy to make. Throw all WET ingredients in a bowl, and mix together. Throw all dry ingredients in a bowl, and mix together. Pour the wet into the dry - and mix. This made Ten 4" pancakes.

I hope this gives you some new ideas for breakfast - we certainly enjoy them!

Comments

Popular Posts